Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Weekender

My new NZED friends at the Cock and Bull!!



Mission Bay



Karyn and I at the Civic Theatre in Town



Penguins at Kelly Tarlton (Underwater Aquarium)



Dinner at Jane’s House with her lovely family!!



Finally the Weekend

I can’t believe I have already completed my third weekend in New Zealand. On Thursday night I went with Jane and a few others to see a live play, The Raft. It was an awesome performance by the locals and it was held in a small theatre in Howick (small suburb area in Auckland). It was fun, interesting and entertaining... On Friday I met a group of young people in their early twenty’s and went to a local restaurant that had an 80’s band playing. It was fun to socialize and catch up with people my own age. I slept past 7 a.m. for the first time since I have been here on Saturday morning. We then went to Mission Bay for lunch and New Market to look at the shopping center. Saturday night we went to Avenue Q, a Broadway Musical in the city of Auckland. The city is absolutely stunning at night.

On Sunday I woke up and went on a six mile run with Grant. We then went to Kelly Tarlton’s. This is an underwater aquarium and Antarctic encounter. It reminded me of the Georgia Aquarium except it is built to be a mimic of Antarctica. Inside they had Robert Scott’s hut (The first man who tried to go to the south pole). His hut was almost exactly like his hut in Antarctica years ago. There were also lots of sting rays, sharks, eels, New Zealand’s only colony of sub-Antarctic penguins and the world’s first underwater transparent tunnel. We then went to Mission Bay for lunch and Ice Cream. We ate on the coast, it was a beautiful day and the view was stunning!! Then I had dinner with my supervising teacher; Jane and her family. Her family is “lovely” and very entertaining. Overall, I had a great weekend full of exciting adventures and now off to begin week 4 of teaching!

Food of the Day: Teriyaki Fish and Magnum gold ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment