Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 4 at Point View Primary

















It is hard to believe I have almost finished my first week in New Zealand. I love my family. We have definitely bonded over the past few nights. Monday night Grant booked me a 2 week Kiwi Experience for the South Island! He helped me book the flights and got a special deal on the tour. They are such a "lovely" family. Karyn always sticks her nose in the door to make sure I am alright when she picks the children up from school. She treats me like her own and even spoils me by fixing my lunch almost every day. They have already made special weekend plans for us all to visit waitomo caves black water rafting. I am super excited about the weekend ahead.

One major difference that I have noticed between the New Zealand and American Education System is simply the daily schedule difference. Here in New Zealand at Point View Primary School a normal day generally consists of three hours of curriculum teaching (mathematics, reading, & writing), one hour of co-curricular activity, a twenty minute break in the morning, and a one hour lunch break in the afternoon. The last hour of the day is usually left open for “whatever needs to be done.” Things that I have seen in the classroom so far include an emphasis on rules, modeling, routines, being soft-spoken but firm, goal setting, and an overall formal instruction in a laid back atmosphere.

During the time the children are outside, a few teachers are appointed to a rotating schedule of duty while all of the others have a nice social break in the staff room; there are two of these breaks throughout the day; one in the morning and one it the afternoon. I love this schedule; it breaks the day up so nicely and is very refreshing. Where at home the children really only have about a forty minute combined lunch and recess break, and teachers generally have one planning period where they stay in their rooms. No wonder Point View Primary feels like such a community, there is actually time for socializing during the workday. I pondered the differences in the schedules and have come to a possible question for why our systems work differently, is it because New Zealand school systems go year round so in turn they are able to be more relaxed.

I have also noticed that physical education is taught in a different manner. They do a variety of different physical activities, from swimming, aerobics, to fitness and p.e. I found it very interesting that they have a whole assembly meeting where teachers and students participate in work out activities. Today they did a fitness work out activity called Jump Jam. It is very fun to watch and participate in. It is great for the students to get the opportunity to release excess energy. I hope to bring this into my own future classroom.

Today the students designed their own PowerPoint on a specific topic that they were assigned. It was very interesting to watch the students use technology so well. I am definitely learning from them. It is amazing how they can use the computer, camera and programs so well together. The students had to take pictures using the camera and then upload it into the PowerPoint and set the picture as the background. It was amazing to watch the students work.

I am beginning to pick up on the details and tricks of the trade at school, the little organizational things that Jane does makes all the difference. I am learning the importance of planning ahead, going the extra mile, and being very intentional with the teaching, explaining specific details, and prioritizing within the classroom. Tomorrow, my teacher and I have made plans after school to celebrate my first week of teaching. I can't believe week one is almost done!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your having an AWESOME time! I think about you everyday, I am so glad that you are learning so much... We love you.... BTW what was the food of the day today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time while learning a lot too. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete