Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Week 2 Teaching Experience

Sawing away in Technology Class!!


Discovering new ideas



Working with Mr. Rankin



Helping Bella build her cardboard castle!



The girls showing off all their hard work!





My teacher had CRT (Classroom Release Time) on Monday and Tuesday of this week (This is basically a teacher work day and the students go to another classroom). This week the students went to Technology with Mr. Rankin where they had to build things with cardboard and wood. Wow, wouldn’t this be nice if the USA borrowed this idea from New Zealand! The teacher basically plays catch up day for two whole school days!! It is awesome for the teachers.

I can’t believe I am already starting my second week of teaching! I found Technology Day to be very interesting on Monday. The students were given the chance to think critically. One group was given the task to build a strong castle out of cardboard, while the other group had to design a piece of equipment to tear down the castle. It was very interesting to watch the students use strategies and think critically on their own. I noticed that it was very hard for many of the students to follow the directions and build on their own.

It was so neat to see such a “Non American Teaching Style” in progress. You would never in a million years walk in a room with seven year olds holding saws and chopping toilet paper rolls. Mr. Rankin gave the students a lot of freedom to experiment and do as they please. Everything that happens in Mr. Rankin’s class is out of the ordinary. For example, the students were allowed to test their material in a battle. They used their home-made machinery to throw rocks at the castle walls to see if it was strong enough to defend itself. Mr. Rankin definitely has a unique teaching style. I enjoyed observing his way of teaching-everything in his class is hands-on.

However, today instead of helping with Technology Day, Jane allowed me to have some hands-on practice with running records and assessments. Wow, I learned so much today! It is crazy how much you can learn in one day by simply learning by doing. It was great to have Jane’s guidance (she knows her stuff!!) She is an awesome teacher, I am so lucky to have the opportunity to learn and grow from her. The only way I can think to describe her is Mary Poppins (I know that sounds crazy but she seriously talks and acts like a real life Mary Poppins).

Food of the Day: Hokey Pokey Ice cream and Toblerone Chocolate

Gifts of the Day: CUTE Monogrammed Clipboard and sweet letter (Kate), I also received a few cards in the mail (Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Tammy and Uncle Ricky) Thank you for all the thoughtful words of encouragement!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren!

    I really enjoyed your blog. I will be reading the rest of it when I can. WOW! I really enjoyed reading about the "hands on" teaching. The teachers seem to be more free to do that sort of thing and I think the U.S. should take note! Can you imagine us leaving school for lunch! We are so happy that you are having this experience. You are in our prayers each day. Lots of love!

    Dean, Donna, Jacob and Caleb Itson

    ReplyDelete