Monday, May 10, 2010

Teaching Side of Things-DAY 1 at Point View Primary NZ

















First Day of School at Point View Primary School

A “lovely” day today. I have already come to love Point View Primary School. It was so neat to see the pictures and research that I have done come to life today. I can already tell that I am going to learn so much in these 10 weeks ahead of me. I am so fortunate to have this experience in New Zealand. I have seen a glimpse of the challenges that will lie ahead. However, I am ready to face the challenges, for I know this will be a great learning experience. I can just hear in the back of my head a popular saying here-“Ahh, that’s alright.”

I was thankful to be placed in such a friendly school... Tea was great, I love the bonding time: the staff definitely has a family feel: it is predominately young, mostly women but a few males. I have already been able to put some names to faces. I enjoyed meeting Trish during tea today. Everyone was so nice and welcoming towards me. I am so excited about working with Jane she is so sweet and easy to talk to. Their classrooms felt like home, bright colors and very open, unlike the schools in the states.
I am excited to have the chance to work in the Year 3 classroom since I have not had much experience with this age group. I am really taking this week to observe how things run in Mrs. Jane’s classroom. It was neat to see Author’s chair and Inquiry Learning in action today. I have read about Author’s Chair in many of my courses at UGA and it was neat to see how it actually works in a classroom. The highlight of my day was listening to Charlotte’s Web. It brought back memories of my childhood memories. Charlotte’s Web was perhaps my favorite childhood memory, I remember my parents had to hide the video from me because I would watch Charlotte’s Web 24/7.

I will say that I found writing time a little challenging for myself. I found that we spell words a little different (color, favorite, program) etc. During Mathematics I enjoyed watching the game Around the World. This is a fun game that I hope to take into my own future classroom. This gives students a chance to drill their addition skills and motivates students to do their best and think fast!!

Today, I actually enjoyed sitting in on meetings. I find myself subconsciously drawing parallels to the things I have seen in the schools at home and what is the same or different here. I have lots to learn but so far everything makes sense here and seems simplistic. Everyone is so laid back and free-spirited- no worries, I love it. I can't wait for day two!!

Food of the Day: We celebrated Grant's Birthday with pavlova dessert (Birthday Cake) and Lamb Meat

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like things are going great for you so far! I am glad that you are adjusting well, and enjoying your time in New Zealand! I am enjoying reading your blog & seeing your photos! Thanks for keeping us informed!!! Lots of Love, Bubba ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos! I was so excited that I got to talk to you on Skype. Hope the rest of the week goes well. I hope to Skype you when you're getting ready for school in the morning! Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete