Saturday, May 8, 2010

Trip to Mt. Eden and the night before BIG DAY!!


It is hard to believe that I start teaching tomorrow morning. I can't believe how fast time is already flying by. My family continues to show me new and interesting places. Today we took a fun trip to the city of Auckland. We started the day in the downtown area at the Viaduct Harbor(with tons of sailboats). We then had lunch at a nice place on the Viaduct harbor. I decided to venture into the New Zealand food and bravely order the New Zealand lamb rump on a stone grill where I actually cooked it myself. It was wonderful, we then ended lunch with tea. By the way, I am beginning to love tea time!!

The family then took me to a candy shop where we bought pineapple lumps (this is a candy that you can only buy in NZ). Pineapple lumps are amazing, the only way I can think to describe them is that they taste like chocolate covered circus peanuts. They are addicting. I am blessed that Karyn, the mom, is a chocoholic like me!!

We then took a trip to Mt. Eden where you can see the whole city of Auckland and view many of the volcanos. It was breath-taking. Mt. Eden and rangitoto are two of the volcanos that we visited. After our tour of Mt. Eden we went to the super market to buy dinner for tonight. It was amazing to walk around the super market and looking at all the different names for vegetables that they use in NZ. Peppers are capsicums and pickles are gherkins. Also, the silver beet was one of the many unique vegetables of NZ.

When we arrived home, Mr. Grant let me try New Zealand marmite(a yeast extract) and it is pure gross!!! It is made in New Zealand and is extremely healthy. It has a rich source of vitamin B, B12 and Iron. They use it as butter and but it on toast. It is a very bitter taste and is awful!! Butter is another word that they don't use much in NZ, they use marge or margarine instead.

It has been very interesting discussing different food. Today Mr. Grant asked me what Grits taste like, as I began to explain grits I found it so hard to explain the consistency of grits. I soon realized that things we take for granted such as grits, can be so hard to explain to someone who has never tasted them. I have had another great day with my family and ready for my exciting first day of teaching in New Zealand!

1 comment: