Thursday, July 29, 2010

Farewell to Point View Primary School!

Thanks to Jessica I was able to give all students American Flags!


Aimee gave me a New Zealand hand towel. We were looking at all the NZ words


The Feast/Going away party!!


Wow, I can’t believe 12 weeks have already come and gone. The students at Point View have spoiled me to say the least. On Thursday we had a FEAST going away party for me. We had everything from oysters, shrimp, salmon, anzac cookies, mince pies, sausage rolls, curry, pizza and so much more….the variety of food is a good symbol of how many different cultures we have in Room 15. It still amazes me how so many cultures and ethnicities can come together as one and learn together so nicely. We then exchanged presents. I received so many wonderful gifts from the students-everything from bangles, scarfs, necklaces, NZ souvenirs and so much more. The students in room 15 came together and wrote individual letters to me. Jane put all the letters and illustrations in a big book for me to treasure. They were hilarious to read and boosted my self-esteem. Haha One student wrote, “ I am so sad that you are going to America. I will miss you because you treated girls as your daughters and boys as your sons…I wish you were my mum.”

Students do not wear shoes in NZ. I found it so bizarre at first but now I love it!


When I got home on Thursday night we then had a celebration at the Webster home. We exchanged gifts. They gave me a NZ greenstone necklace and earrings. Grant, Karyn and I then went out for dinner alone at the Hilton Hotel. The restaurant was called White, it was lovely and we could see the harbor through the window from our table. The restaurant and hotel is in the shape of a ship. It is by far the most expensive restaurant in the city. I felt so special that they felt the need to take me to such a nice, elegant dinner and celebrate before my departure.

On Friday at school all the students dressed up as cowboys and cowgirls. They performed a song called “The Wonky Donkey.” It was very country and was a perfect farewell song. The students were adorable. I then said a little speech to the school and room 15. I must say tears came to my eyes as I said goodbye to all that I have come to love in New Zealand.




On Friday night, Jane held a Mid-Winter Christmas Party for me. A few of the teachers came over and we had a small gift exchange. It was lots of fun and exciting as it gave me another chance to say goodbye to all my friends in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment