Monday, July 26, 2010

Koalas and Kangaroos





If you look very closely you can see the Joey almost popping out of the pouch!


GRAND FIANLE
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Final Weekend Adventure

After an early wake up call at 3:30 a.m. we were off to Sydney, Australia. We arrived in Sydney around 8:30 a.m. gaining 2 hours since New Zealand is ahead of the rest of the world. Haha Karyn and I then took the train/tram to our hotel, The Star City Hotel in Sydney, Australia. Once we unpacked we headed to Darling Harbor and it was beautiful, we had lunch on the harbor and I had the prawn salad! We then walked to the IMAX Theatre, which is on Darling Harbor. The IMAX theatre is the largest IMAX theatre in the world. We then headed to Paddy’s Market (A huge building full of different markets). After we left Paddy’s Market we headed towards the Star City Tower and then detoured at Queen Victorian Station. The Vic Station was huge- 3 stories high with lots and lots of shops. I felt like I was back in America with Ralph Lauren and other American stores. After a tour of Queen Vic Station we headed off to the Sydney Opera House. Karyn and I took a quick tour of the Opera House and then walked around the Harbor Bridge and back to Darling Harbor. After all that walking Karyn and I were “naked” as I should say (In NZ naked means extremely TIRED)!!

Sydney Opera House


On Saturday night Karyn and I had dinner at FATNOODLE I felt like I was in China. Seriously…. I have yet to actually meet a local Australian since we arrived this morning. After dinner, Karyn and I went to a show, “West Side Story” in the Star City Theatre. Karyn and I had a hard time keeping our eyes open during the musical and nodded off a few times. It was hilarious neither of us could keep our eyes open to safe our life. We were exhausted from all the walking, plus we gained 2 hours once arriving in Australia. After we left the musical we were wide awake since we practically napped during the show so Karyn and I decided to have a second dinner at a Tapas restaurant and go for Red Sangria wine (Red wine, Martini Rosso, lemonade, apples, oranges, strawberries and cinnamon sticks), cheese and churros with a hot cup of tea.

Koala and ME!!


On Sunday we started the day at Paddy’s market buying a few gifts and souvenirs. I finally finished all my shopping for my family and Jane at school. We then took the Captain Cook Cruise from Darling Harbor to the Zoo. I had close encounters with Koala bears and Kangaroos. I even touched a Kangaroo and we got up close to a mother Kangaroo with a Joey.

Darling Harbor


After we left the Zoo we took the cruise to Circular Quay and explored The Rocks and the aroma festival. It was fun trying all the sweets and chocolates. Karyn and I bought a few things at the Market. I also braved up and climbed the Harbor Bridge in Sydney. It is the largest single arch span bridge in the world and an international symbol of Australia. Karyn and I then took the Sydney Monorail around the city center to Darling Harbor. Then off to the Airport-Karyn and Grant are members of the Koru Club. This is an Air New Zealand club for frequent fliers members pay an annual fee to Air New Zealand and then get treated like royalty at the airport. Since Grant flies to other countries on a weekly basis him and Karyn are members of this club. So we had first class seats on the plane, access to the Air New Zealand members’ only lounge with free food, drinks and desserts. I had an American Hot Dog, English breakfast tea, carrot cake and a Krispy Kreme Doughnut! The trip to Sydney was a great finale for my adventure to the land down under. I have only one more week ahead before I depart for the United States and reality!

Climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge


Food of the day: Chokito, Violet Crumble, Caremello Koala, Prawn Salad, Hanian Chicken, Salt and Pepper Silken Tofu, Chocolate Brulee, Rhubarb and Custard, Nougat Limar Macadamian nut, Smiths Chips, Fresh Sushi (Australia)

No comments:

Post a Comment