Monday, July 12, 2010

Kiwi Experience Update July 4-18



July 4th 2010
Christchurch to Westport

Today I was picked up by Bods in Christchurch we traveled to Westport. I was alone with Bods for almost four hours before I met up with my group of backpackers. Bods and I made a few pit stops and photo stops along the way. We stopped at Culverdon for quick coffee breaks. We then traveled to St. James were we went on a short walk around an icy lake and snowy nature walk. We then stopped in Spring Junction and went to Maruia Falls. The waterfalls were stunning. Bods said they were created in seconds from an earthquake in 1929. Bods was very informative and full of information. We talked about WWI, WWII, NZ and all the countries around the world. I had a long history lesson. Interestingly enough NZ is the last country to be occupied by humans. It is the youngest country on Earth!! It was known as the land of the Birds. I found the farming aspect of live very intriguing. They call it intensive farming because there is more livestock per square meter than anywhere overseas. There are 34 million sheep in NZ!! More sheep than people in NZ...I am constantly amazed by the dramatic changes in the landscape. For example, one minute you are in the big city or the valley, mountain range, the coast or the foothills of the Southern Alps.

I met up with my Kiwi Experience group in Westport. We went on an exciting Jet Boat ride. After we checked into our hostel we went to a Pizza Pub to bond with our new group. I met a nice girl, Victoria, from London. She along with the rest of the group are truly backpackers. I have a whole new respect for backpackers.

Rainforest!


July 5th
Westport to Lake Mahinapua
TOP TEN ROAD TRIP!!!!

I experienced one of the top ten roadtrips in the world today! We drove from Westport to Greymouth and the view was absolutely stunning. We drove through Cape Foulwind which is the biggest cement manufacture in NZ. We stopped along the Truman Track where we had the opportunity of seeing a tree strangle another tree. Quite BIZZARE!! We also stopped at Punakaiki Pancake Rocks Blowhole, I took lots of pictures and went on a 30 minute hike. We then had pancakes at the cafe. They were the best pancakes and are even world recognized. Wehen we finally arrived in Lake Mahinapua it was beautiful. You could see Lakes, Oceans and Mountains all in the distance of one football field. The drastic changes in such close proximatey were surreal. We then had a nice dinner and got dressed for our social, "ANYTHING GOES BUT CLOTHES." I dressed up as the American Flag to celebrate the 4th of July! With the time difference I technically had two 4th of July's since the 4th of July in NZ is a day earlier!! At our social we played games and did more bonding. There are so many nice Dutch and Irish girls on my bus! I have made friends with an Irish girl who is a teacher in Ireland and on a two year career break-Traveling the world!

Social "Anything goes but clothes"


Lake Mahinapua


July 6th 2010
Mahinapua to Franz Josef

We got off on an early start! Our first stop was the Bushman Center where we got an insight into how NZ people make a living on the coast with helicopter deer recovery, old timber-milling techniques and possum trapping. We took a tour of the Museum and had possum pie and Wild Venison hot pot. We then continued heading to Franz Josef passing beautiful Lakes and Mountains. We went kayaking down the beautiful lake in Franz Josef-viewing glaciers and tropical rainforests. On Wednesday we went on an 8-hour glacier hike through the tropical rainforest, which led up to the Franz Josef Glacier Hike. After we returned from the hike we went to the warm "HOT POOLS." It was quite chilly walking to the hot pool in a bathing suit after we had hiked a snowy, icy glacier. One thing that I loved about the hike was that it was so spontaneous. There was not a right way to climb up or down the glacier. There was not a paved route or trail it was more, "Go with the flow." I feel like this is just how my trip has been so far. I have just lived day to day...making plans and routes as I go. It is a wonderful free feeling! I only can imagine what the rest of the trip holds!

Kayaking on Franz Josef


Glacier Hike in Franz Josef



July 8th 2010
Franz Josef to Wanaka

We started our journey early to catch the perfect mirror reflection of Mt. Cook and the Southern Alps at Lake Mathewson. The view was sunning we went on an hour and a half hike then nestled in the cafe for a famous New Zealand chocolate chippee and Chai Latte. We then continued cruising down HWY 6 stopping at popular scenic spots along the way. We traveled along the longest single lane bridge in NZ leaving the West Coast. As we traveled closer to Wanaka I decided to take the challenge and go Skydiving 15, 000 feet above Lake Wanaka. The weather was perfect and the sun was setting over the lake. The view was absolutely stunning-the feeling was almost surreal!! I think it took me 24 hours to come to the realization that I feel 15, 000 feet from a perfectly good piece of aircraft with a complete stranger. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had in my whole entire life. The weirdest part of the skydive was landing before the plane...everything happened so fast!!

When the skydiving team dropped me off at my hostel. I then decided to enter a pie-eating contest! I think it was the adrenaline rush! Needless to say, I was the only girl that entered the contest. haha






July 9th 2010
Lake Wanaka to Queenstown

Bungy off Kawarau Bridge in Queenstown


We started our travel to Queenstown on Friday morning at 9 a.m. We first stopped at Puzzle World where we went through a maze and other illusions. We then cruised until we reached the World's First Commercial Bungy site...THE KAWARAU BRIDGE!! I decided to bravely bungy 43 meters off this bridge! I still don't know what I did it. It was the most outer body experience I have ever had. The hardest part was jumping off the bridge! It is unreal how much more of an adrenaline rush I received than from the skydive yesterday. It was all about facing my fears and taking the plunge. I think my heart skipped a beat-after I landed I felt as if my heart jumped out of my chest!! We then arrived in Queenstown where we checked into our lovely hostel, Nomads. We had a big night out with our kiwi group before all departing and going our separate ways.

Bungy in QUEENSTOWN!!!


First Ski Experience!!


July 10th 2010

Skiing in Queenstown

I experienced skiing for the first time in my life at Cardrona Alpine Resort in Queenstown. It was so much fun and I learned so much. I had 2 lessons with a group of 8 Aussies. I felt like I was in Australia, it was a blast! We all fell on our butt a million times! At the end of our 2nd lesson we ventured off to the slopes where we had to ride a chair lift to the top of the mountain and then ski down the slopes. We did a total of 8 hours of skiing, with four of those hours being at ski school! haha at the end of the day we were so exhausted. Once we arrived back into the city of Queenstown we stopped at an Indian restaurant. This was my first experience with Indian food; it was very different but tasty!

Day on the Ski Slopes!


Milford Sound



July 11th 2010
Milford Sound

On Sunday we cruised to Milford Sound. This is one of the 8 wonders of the World. The view was amazing. We passed lakes reflecting the Southern Alps and the world's best walk in the Teanau Downs. We traveled 1,000 meters above sea level-going through a tunnel that dropped 120 meters from top to bottom. On our cruise we saw dolphins and penguins. We also cruised to the Discovery Center where we observed underwater fish and sharks. After we finished our cruise in Milford we traveled back to Queenstown, which is a 5-hour drive!

The view of Milford!


Cruise Milford Sound!



The view on the drive from Queenstown to Christchurch




July 12th 2010

Queenstown to Christchurch

We departed 8 am for our 8-hour drive to CC. It is crazy to think it took us a week to get from CC to Queenstown and now we are traveling it in only one day. It was sad leaving Queenstown the town was such a cute little quaint town that reminded me of a strange combination of Athens and Savannah. There were lots of shops and restaurants all nestled on a lake with snow-capped mountains. It was hard leaving all our new friends in Queenstown. However, I was lucky because a few of my friends from Ireland and England traveled on the same bus with me to the North Island.

When we arrived in CC we went on a walk in the park and botanical gardens. They had a toga social at base. So we all dressed up in Togas and competed in the Toga Competition. Orla, my Irish friend, and I won 1st place in the competition.

Kaikoura


July 13th 2010

Christchurch to Kaikoura

We left Christchurch early to get to Kaikoura before noon. We then went on a three-hour hike around the Peninsula Seal Colony. The seals were so big and grumpy. Kaikoua is beautiful with Oceans and mountains. I am beginning to realize how much I absolutely love the South Island. I wish I could rewind time and start all over...time is flying by way too fast! We also had the the famous NZ fish and chips that Kaikoura is becoming even more popular for...Kaikoura is known as one of the best coastal wildlife regions in the world-whales, dolphins and seals. Before we left Kaikoura, we had the chance to see seal pups on Wednesday. The pups were so playful, almost like little baby puppy dogs.

Welcome to Wellington!

July 14th 2010

Kaikoura-Picton-Wellington

After taking a good look at the seal pups we continued our journey to Picton. We stopped in Picton to take the ferry to Wellington. We said farewell to the South Island (Te Wai Ponamu). The ferry took three hours however the view of the Marlborough Sounds was amazing. I met a few Americans on the Ferry! It was funny how even when I meet people from Colorado I feel at home even though I have never been to Colorado. I guess its something about being from the States.

When we finally arrived in Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, we checked into our hostel and ventured off to the cable cars. We took in the skyline view of the city and then had Nandos for dinner. We went back to base and went out with our little group of 7 (the 7 that are left from the South Island tour). I was supposed to stay in Wellington till the 17th of July and fly back to Auckland. However, I decided to stay on the Kiwi Bus and experience more of the North Island that I haven't seen yet! Plus I love my new friends and its more exciting to travel with my group back to Auckland slowly...we will arrive Sunday the 18th of July!

Wellington Cable Cars!!



July 15th 2010

Wellington to Taupo

The journey to Lake Taupo was amazing! We went through rolling hills and massive volcanoes. Lake Taupo is the largest lake in New Zealand and it is in the middle of the North Island. We visited Huka Falls-the falls are so powerful! Supposedly every minute it spits out enough water to fill up 5 Olympic size pools. 60,000 gallons of water per second. The power from the waterfalls was unbelievable. After leaving the waterfalls we went to the bungy center where a few of our friends who did not bungy in Queenstown were given the opportunity to bungy over the lake. It was scary but so fun! After the bungy we went out and celebrated life! We then explored more of the beautiful Lake Taupo before departing for Rotorua.

White water rafting on Kaitiaki



July 16th-17th 2010

Lake Taupo to Rotorua

We stayed two nights in Rotorua. On Friday night, our first night, we experienced the Tamaki Herritage Experience. We joined the tribe of Ngati Tama and celebrated with games and dance. We had the traditional HANGI, which has been cooked under the earth on hot rocks for 3 to 4 hours. We also had Pavlova for dessert. The Tamaki- Maori Village was located 15 km South of Rotorua. The Houses were designed like Welcoming bodies. There was a face in the center and the roof was shaped like arms down to welcome visitors into the village. The Maori greet one another by touching noses twice, the touching of nose serves like a handshake. We had an amazing night with the Ngati Tama tribe and ended the night with a great meal.

On Saturday we went Whitewater rafting on the Kaitiaki River. Every river excursion Kaitiaki pays total respect to the people of the river, Ngati Pikiao by the way of Karakia (traditional prayer). Once we started down the river we passed through amazing, steep, narrow, bush clad canyons, over and through 14 rapids, the 7-meter Tutea Falls. The whitewater rafting was rated grade 5 for its rapids and waterfalls. We then went to the Pig and Whistle for lunch and ventured to the Agrodome and Agroadventures later that day.

On Saturday night I met two Canadian girls. It was so nice to meet more sweet girls. All my friends plus the new Canadian friends went to celebrate our last night together in ROTORUA!!

Going down the 7 meter water fall


We did it...Survival Picture!!




July 18th 2010

Rotorua to Auckland

As I left Rotorua, I felt as if I was traveling home again. It is funny how Auckland feels like my home in so many ways. It is reassuring to know how fast a place can feel like home. This trip has been the TRIP of my lifetime! It has inspired me to want to see the rest of the World. Every day is a new day and I am going to try my best to life each day to its highest potential for the next 2 weeks that I have left in New Zealand! I can't believe how fast time is going...I have less than 2 weeks left in this MARVELOUS PLACE!!!

Food of the Day: Cadbury Dairy Milk Rocky Road, Spuds Spring Onion Ripples, Dairy Milk Peppermint/Caramello, MORO GOLD, Chocolate Chippie, Alfghans Buscuits, Freddo Honeycomb, Memphis Meltdown Hokey Pokey, Pete’s Possum Pie, Venison HOT POT, Hungi, and Pavlova

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    What a fantastic post! Have you checked out our Kiwi Community pages at www.kiwiexperience.com or our fan page at http://www.facebook.com/officialkiwiexperiencefanpage - you can catch up with some old bus buddies or upload a pic and go in the monthly prize draw.

    Sweet As

    The Kiwi Experience Whanau

    ReplyDelete