Saturday, July 3, 2010

Auckland to Wellington to Christchurch

I made it safely to Christchurch!! Flying from Wellington to Christchuch was breath taking. As we flew across the east coast heading to Christchurch you could see the Southern Alps and the shingled beds flowing into big open riverbanks. The melted snow from the Alps flows into these riverbanks...it is stunning!! It is amazing how fast the landscape can change when traveling around New Zealand. For example, when traveling over the South Island one minute you see the foothills of the Alps and the next you see Canterbury Plains.

Once I landed in Christchurch I checked into my hostel and started exploring. The day was beautiful. I went punting down the Avon River, rode the tram around the city, took the Gondola to the highest peak in Christchurch and then took the bus to a town called Lyttelton. The bus driver, Wayne, was so nice. He just so happened to have a break when we arrived in Lyttelton and took me on a speady tour of the oh so little but cute town. We then had fish and chips and headed back to CC. I then took the bus to another lookout spot called the sign of the Takaake and it even had a Medieval restaurant/castle. It was beautiful!!

When I went back to my base hotel I then met up with a group of young people and went for dinner at a local Chinese restaurant in CC. I can't get over how friendly everyone I come encounter with is in CC...they are so laid back and helpful. They will bend over backwards for anyone! Even though I am alone I do not feel that way one bit! I can't wait to see what lies ahead today. I am leaving for Westport this morning and will meet up with my tour group.

Drink of the Day: The original L & P (Lemon and Paeroa)

1 comment: