Sunday, August 1, 2010

Final Thoughts after 12 weeks in NZED!!!

Speech on the last day of school to all faculty and staff


Applying for the UGA COST Program was no doubt the best decision I have ever made in my entire life. I have experienced the trip of a lifetime in New Zealand. Over the course of 12 weeks, I completed a 10-week student teaching practicum in Auckland, New Zealand, experienced an extensive two-week tour of the North and South Islands of New Zealand, and traveled to Sydney, Australia. I left the States on May the 6th not knowing what to expect on my journey to the bottom of the earth. However, I must say all my expectations were exceeded beyond belief. I have to continuously pinch myself to remind me that this is real life and not a movie scene. This adventure has been surreal. It is hard to begin describing my experience because I simply do not know where to begin.

After Room 15 performs "The Wonkey Donky" for me at last school assembly


Traveling to the bottom of the earth opened my eyes to the way America impacts the world today. It also broadened my perspective of the world. While touring the South Island, I experienced a lot of adrenalin pumping and once in a lifetime experiences. I went on a skydive 15,000 feet above ground, jumped off a bridge at the world’s first original bungy, went skiing at famous NZ resort, climbed glaciers in Franz Josef, paddled a raft down a 7 meter waterfall and so much more. By living with a Kiwi family and working in the schools I picked up a lot on their culture. The Maori, New Zealand’s native people, are still part of the culture. Students learn the language in school and practice it daily. I had the opportunity to experience a lot of the Maori heritage; from an opening of the new Maori building, to a cultural heritage tour with the traditional hungi and pavlova. Speaking of food, trying all the Kiwi food has definitely been my favorite part of the trip. This experience has taught me that change is good sometimes.

I enjoyed my teaching experience in Jane’s Year 3 classroom (7 &8 year olds) at Point View Primary. One of the first things I notice about New Zealand’s school is that they do not teach to a particular standardized test, instead they follow key competencies (similar to Georgia Performance Standards) and also make individual goals and learning intentions for all students. I found a reading comprehension teaching style that I used and loved from a New Zealand teacher and author, Sheena Cameron. By watching and observing expert teachers I found my own unique style as a teacher. I also had the opportunity to observe numerous schools from different demographics and other grade levels as well.

Jane and I at last morning tea!


I also had the chance to bring my culture into the classroom and teach my students about my country as well as about their own. The students and I shared our differences and learned together. The students learned to love and understand my Deep South Georgia accent and by the end of my practicum neither the children nor I wanted to depart from each other. Teaching in New Zealand pooled all my knowledge that I have gained at the University of Georgia and molded me into the teacher that I have always dreamed to become. The COST program has changed my life and provided me with an opportunity of a lifetime. I gained so much intellectually and personally. I could not imagine my life without this experience. I will cherish and never forget the three months that I spent in New Zealand.

Room 15 looking at the world map and routing my journey back to America


As I have traveled home and only been away from New Zealand for only a few days. Tears still come to my eyes as I think about leaving the airport and my New Zealand "family" and friends. However, I know that it is time for me to embark on this new chapter in my life. I hope that everything will soon fall into place as it did with my experience teaching abroad in New Zealand.

Final Dinner with Karyn and Grant


Thank you for all of you who have read my blog and stayed updated on this experience. I don't know what I would have done without all the love and support from all my family and friends.

Love,

Lauren Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment