Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week 6 Teaching side of things

Making Grandma's Recipe of Ranch House Cookies



Monday was the Museum visit, which I updated you all on earlier this week. On Tuesday I taught all by myself all day. Jane was absent from school today so I learned a lot and gained a lot of control. The students really respond to me well and I seem to have a handle on things better than I ever have. I am learning new reward systems and behavior management strategies that work well with students. I introduced my own unique reward system today. I decorated a special box and when I catch students being good they get to put their name in the box for a drawing on Friday. This Friday, the three students that were drawn had the special privilege of making grits with me for the class and teachers. I have found that behavior management is of upmost importance when teaching because if you don’t have control then the lesson is useless. I have also learned that as a teacher you must constantly think about what you must do next in the classroom and how to make the most of each day in order to get everything done. The school days seem to fly by so fast and I find myself constantly playing catch up from the days before.

Wednesday was a good day of teaching as well. Jane was busy in her office with parents and conferencing so it was another good day of experiencing full control as a teacher. I am getting the hang of it more and more each day. I feel more confident in my teaching and feel prepared for the challenges ahead. Jane says that I am doing well so she does not interfere with the teaching at all, I finally feel like a real teacher. It is a great feeling.

On Wednesday and Thursday I observed parent/teacher conferences. I found it very unique in New Zealand primary schools. At point view primary school the conferences are called “Triadic conferences.” It is were the student, teacher, and parent form a triangle and talk together about the child’s learning goals at school and home. The teacher has the student read their individual goal to the parent and teacher. The child then explains what it means and how they can practice it at home and at school. The teacher then allows the student to go play on the computer and talks to the parents alone while going over key competencies with parents alone. I found the conferencing to be very effective for the whole family and teacher.

On Friday I had the chance to make grits with a few students and we had a great ending to my sixth week of teaching. It is unbelievable how much I am learning each day. I am enjoying full control and the freedom I have with it.

Cooking GRITS with a few of the students at school.


Away from school-
I experienced Kiwi style fish and chips for the first time today! We went to the fish market where the fish is fresh and we had the opportunity to pick our fish and get it battered and fried in front of us. It was an awesome experience, the fish and chips are wrapped in newspaper....they are very tasty.

On Wednesday and Thursday I stayed at school until 6:30-7:00 with Parent/Teacher Conferences. On Friday a few teachers and I went out after school. It was fun and exciting to mix and mingle with a few of the staff members away from the teaching side of things.

I spent all day Saturday with Jane and her husband at the Matakana Markets and other areas North of Auckland!

Food of the Day: Neenish Tart and Toffee Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment