Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Teaching Side of things-Week 5 and The Medieval Banquet

A few of the teachers and our velvet princess costumes


Week 5 at Point View School was a huge success. I did a lot of planning and preparation for the next three weeks of full control. I am on full control from June 14th-July 2nd. I have begun to feel more confident in my teaching and behavior management system.

On June 8th we had a Medieval Banquet, to end our thematic unit on the middle ages. The teachers dressed up as princesses, Robin Hood and even the court jester. The children dressed up as knights, princesses, court jester and kings. We ate vegetable pottage, cinnamon toast, jam tarts, chicken drumsticks, and blackcurrant juice like medieval wine. It was a fun celebration for the students and teachers.

My whole class before the Medieval Banquet


Year 3 at the Medieval Banquet


At the Medieval Feast with a few knights and a King


I have learned so much in the field. I have gained more confidence everyday and learned that positive reinforcement works magic and students respond to positive feedback more than anything else. By the end of the week I had students eating out of my hands because of all the praise and acknowledgment that I recognized. This student teaching experience has shown me how to give students the attention they need in the correct manner. I found that before this experience I would only give students attention when they were bad and misbehaved. However, I have quickly learned that is possibly the worst thing you could do as a teacher. Students are dying for any attention whether it is positive or negative. I feel that I have come a long way in these five weeks of teaching and can’t wait to see what is ahead in the weeks ahead.

The children with their medieval Food: a drumstick, vegetable pottage, cinnamon toast and jam tarts


On Thursday and Friday I completely finished my planning for the week ahead. I also took down the medieval castles and made the bulletin board ready for my weeks of full control. Since I am centering all my lessons around our class novel, Charlotte’s Web, I decided to make a huge web and throughout my teaching I will put vocabulary words in the web and other projects that we do with this theme.



Away from Teaching side of life…

I had the chance to go to movie and dinner with a few teachers and friends this week. We went to see Sex in the City II. It was so fun to socialize and hang out with people away from children. Haha One of the ladies told me that I looked like Reese Witherspoon from Sweet Home Alabama and Legally Blonde. I was star-struck!!! We all know that I look nothing like Reese but after a hard week of teaching I took the compliment and ran with it! I told them they could call me Reese any day of the week. Jane laughed and said that she would definitely remember that and call me by my new nickname when needed at school! I love Jane she is so fun to hang out with away from school. She is full of energy and excitement.


Food of the Day: Mellow puffs, jam tarts and jelly tip Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment